At AFTA, our arts-based programming and community efforts and involvement:
- Address social issues through art experiences.
- Expand and diversify existing in-school arts programming.
- Connect artists to teachers and schools through short and long-term residencies both in-school and after-school.
- Provide special programs for community groups and institutions.
- Participate in public, private and community programs which promote education through the arts.
AFTA artists are professionals in their field, visual artists exhibiting in local galleries, published authors, classical and jazz musicians, videographers, and theatre and dance performers who present at venues locally and internationally.
The AFTA Afterschool program places artists in Newtown Estates Parks and Recreation Center, and the North Sarasota Library in Sarasota County. Teaching high-risk, youth the skills to become successful in life are at the core of the AFTA-Afterschool program.
I am honored to belong to AFTA because it brings together highly qualified artists who share openness and creativity when transmitting our crafts to those who participate in the activities we develop.”
– Mica Martinelli | Filmmaker
Many of AFTA’s members who are posted on the EdExploreSRQ website are working in the schools with arts integrated lessons. The goal of the teaching artist is to engage the students in a creative process which connects their art form with another subject and meets the objectives of both.
AFTA Afterschool Program
AFTA Afterschool is an arts based program taught by professional teaching artists, based in Newtown Estates in Sarasota County.
Our pilot after school program partners are the Newtown Estates Park and Recreation Center and the North Sarasota Library in Newtown Estates.
AFTA Afterschool endeavors to empower participating youths by providing a creative and safe outlet for the multitude of emotions and problems that permeate their lives as they develop intellectually, emotionally, and socially during their elementary and/or middle school years.
Some of the benefits of AFTA Afterschool include:
- Provide a safe environment for children after school.
- Encourage a more positive self-concept ad better decision making.
- Support working families and encourage parental participation.
- Promote proper nutrition for healthy children.
- Provide a creative outlet for students.
- Help improve academic performance and social behavior in school.
EdExploreSRQ is a web-based search platform in Sarasota County used by teachers, principals and parents to learn about experiential learning opportunities for their students.
On EdExplore, teaching Artists post their arts-integrated “exploration,” or lesson plan, combining their art form with a particular curriculum. Educators and parents can search this database to find arts-based explorations to bring into the classroom to provide an enhanced educational experience for the student.
These explorations are reviewed and approved by the school district to ensure connections to educational standards and benchmarks. Teaching Artists are then hired to work with classroom teachers to offer students a unique learning experience.